Choosing the Right Size and Location
When selecting a wall shelf with a towel bar for your bathroom, taking measurements is an important first step. Consider the size of your towels and how much space they will take up folded over the bar. Standard towel bar shelves range from 18 – 24 inches long. Measure the area of the wall you want to place the shelf to ensure it will fit properly. Also, account for any decorative items you may want to display in addition to towels.
The height of the shelf is another key consideration. Installing it at a height that works for all members of your household is ideal. Place it low enough for children to reach but high enough that adults do not need to bend down too far. Many experts recommend mounting the shelf about 48 inches off the ground if space allows. Just ensure the top of the shelf will not bump your head when walking by.
Also, think about the best location in your bathroom layout. Do you want the shelf near the shower or tub for easy access when stepping out? Or would mounting it next to the bathroom vanity make more sense for your space? Consider traffic flow and look for a spot that maximizes usefulness while not obstructing movement. Place it on a wall without plumbing or electricity to simplify installation.
Towel Bar and Shelf Material Options
Bathroom wall shelves with towel bars come in a variety of different materials to match your price point and style needs. Wood, metal, plastic, and glass are common options. The material affects the look, durability, and weight capacity of the shelf.
Wood shelves made of bamboo, teak, or pine offer a warm, classic aesthetic. Making sure the wood has a moisture-resistant finish will help it hold up better in a damp bathroom environment. Wrought iron or powder-coated metal provides an elegant, contemporary look. Stainless steel gives a modern vibe. Plastic and acrylic shelves are affordable, low-maintenance choices. Glass shelves lend a sleek, shiny appearance.
Consider finishing as well. Matte, gloss, bronze, nickel, black – the possibilities are numerous! Just be sure to choose a material and finish that works with your existing bathroom decor. The shelf and towel bar should blend seamlessly into the overall design.
Installation Tips and Tricks
Installing your new bathroom wall shelf with a towel bar does not have to be a complicated process. Follow these tips to make it go smoothly:
- Gather the right tools – tape measure, stud finder, drill, level, screwdriver. Use anchors for drywall if you cannot locate studs.
- Carefully read the installation instructions that come with shelf. Different products may vary slightly.
- Locate the studs and mark them for drilling pilot holes. Hold shelf in place and mark spots for the bracket holes.
- Drill pilot holes if screwing into studs. If using anchors, drill holes for anchors.
- Attach mounting brackets first, then mount the shelf securely onto brackets.
- Check that the shelf is level before screwing brackets tightly into place.
- Add any end cap pieces that cover hardware. Apply caulk around edges for a finished look.
- Place small level on top of towel bar and adjust until bar is level. Tighten screws completely.
- Check that shelf feels securely mounted and stable on wall. Follow any last instructions for safety.
Having the right tools, reviewing instructions, and carefully measuring the placement will lead to success. Take it slow and double check your work along the way. Proper installation will keep your shelf safely and stylishly on display.
Decorating and Styling Your New Shelf
One of the fun parts of installing a new wall shelf in your bathroom is deciding how to decorate it. There are many creative ways to style your shelf with towels, plants, accessories, and more.
First, choose your towels. White, beige, or colored? Fold them over the bar neatly or display them in baskets? Layer hand towels over bath towels or roll them for a spa look.
Next, add greenery. Small potted plants like ferns or succulents can live right on the shelf. Or a vase with fresh flowers or artificial blooms. Green accentuates the soothing vibe.
Now for the accessories – this is where you can showcase your personality. Ceramic vessels for cotton balls and swabs, perfume bottles, scented candles, framed photos, or pretty boxes for organization.
For a bold statement, choose accessories in your favorite vivid colors. Or go for a clean, minimalist look with just a few matching pieces. The styling options are endless.
Lighting can also play a role. A wall sconce above the shelf or accent lighting inside it radiates a soft glow. Or try a pop of color with neon or string lights.
Keeping Your Shelf Organized and Functional
The whole point of adding a wall shelf with a towel bar in your bathroom is to increase storage and functionality. Here are some tips to keep it decluttered and organized:
- Only keep essentials on display and store other items elsewhere. Pare down to items used daily.
- Group items together in baskets, trays, or boxes. Designate spaces for towels, toiletries, and cosmetics.
- Try rolling towels vertically instead of folding them for a tidy look. Install hooks for hanging washcloths or robes.
- Prevent moisture damage by sealing any wood. Use organizers to contain wet items away from surfaces.
- Clean the shelf once a week while you tidy the bathroom. Dust surfaces and sanitize containers.
- Check mounting brackets and towel bars periodically to ensure they are secure. Tighten any loose screws.
- Rearrange items seasonally. Rotate out winter hand creams and swap in summer body lotions.
- Add dividers or risers to separate items and make them easy to see and grab. Hide away clutter.
With some routine maintenance and editing down to essentials, your wall shelf will maintain its purpose and neat appearance for years to come.
Bathroom Shelf with Towel Bar Set of 2,Bathroom Shelving,Rustic Floating Bathroom Shelves Over Toilet ,Bathroom Wall Organizer Shelf ,Floating Towel
Bolton Bathroom Storage Cubby u0026 Towel Bar Wall Shelf
Bathroom Shelf With Towel Bar – VisualHunt
Industrial 3-tier 5.5 in. x 20 in. x 23 in. Gray Pine Wood
Wall Mounted Bamboo Wood Bathroom Wall Bath Shelf with Towel Bar Rack
Rustic Bathroom Shelves Wall Mounted Hair Dryer Holder With Towel Bar Set Of 3, Floating Storage Shelf For Bathroom, Wall Mounted Hair Holder
2 Tier Wall Mount Shelving Unit With Towel Rack And Trays Chrome
- Espresso Bathroom Shelves
- Adjustable Bathroom Shelves
- Modern Farmhouse Bathroom Shelf Decor
- Bathroom Shelves On Wall
- Bathroom Corner Shelf Ceramic
- Bathroom Towel Shelves Wall Mounted
- Glass and Chrome Bathroom Shelf Unit
- White Ceramic Bathroom Shelves
- Bathroom Corner Shelf Decor Ideas
- Big Lots Bathroom Shelves